Posts List

Posts Slider

Health

‘Moment of joy’ as Uganda discharges last Ebola patient
‘Moment of joy’ as Uganda discharges last Ebola patient

The last patient being treated for Ebola in Uganda has been discharged from the hospital, leaving the country with no active confirmed cases of the deadly disease.

At a ceremony marking the occasion, Health Minister Dr Chris Baryomunsi described it as “a moment of joy”.

The first case in this outbreak of the Bundibugyo species of the virus in Uganda was confirmed in May. The patient was a man who had travelled from the neighbouring Democratic Republic of Congo, the outbreak’s epicentre, for medical treatment.

The authorities there are battling to contain the spread, and the US has extended travel restrictions on US citizens who have been to DR Congo.

In Uganda, a 42-day countdown has now begun before it can officially be declared Ebola-free, as long as no new infections emerge.

“It demonstrates that with early detection, prompt treatment and a strong health system, Ebola can be defeated,” the health minister said.

Nevertheless, his ministry has urged people to “remain vigilant”.

“If you develop symptoms such as fever, vomiting, diarrhoea or unexplained bleeding, seek immediate medical care,” it said in a statement on X.

In all, Uganda recorded 20 confirmed cases, mostly among visitors from DR Congo, and two deaths.

Uganda has experienced several Ebola outbreaks over the last two decades and now has well-established protocols to deal with the virus. These include isolation of suspected cases and contact tracing as well as targeted public health messages.

There have been more than 2,000 confirmed infections and 796 deaths in DR Congo, according to government data.

But it is thought that it could have been in the community undetected for months before the outbreak was officially declared two months ago.

Earlier this week, a World Health Organization (WHO) official said the true number of infections could be four times larger than recorded.

In response to the latest situation, the US has announced that citizens who have been in DR Congo and want to return home must spend 21 days in a third country before being allowed into America.

Previously, they had been able to enter at select airports, where they were went through a screening process.

The new rule could affect recruitment of US medics who want to work in Ebola-affected areas and the scale of operations, Franklin Graham, the CEO of an organisation that runs Ebola treatment centres, told the Reuters news agency.

Ebola is caused by a virus that attacks the body’s immune system and organs.

It normally infects animals, typically fruit bats, but outbreaks among humans can sometimes start when people handle infected animals. It is spread through bodily fluids like blood.

Mahama orders health minister to reopen portal for 16,000 jobless nurses
Mahama orders health minister to reopen portal for 16,000 jobless nurses
Business Together To Make Investments
But who has any right to find of existence in present
But who has any right to find of existence in present

Economy

‘I’m not a nobody; I’m a senior government official’ – Nana Yaa Jantuah assures NPP its petition will reach Mahama
‘I’m not a nobody; I’m a senior government official’ – Nana Yaa Jantuah assures NPP its petition will reach Mahama

Presidential Staffer Nana Yaa Akyenpim Jantuah has rejected Minority Leader Alexander Afenyo-Markin’s description of her as “a nobody”, insisting that she is a senior government official and will ensure that the New Patriotic Party’s (NPP) petition reaches President John Mahama.

She was speaking after receiving the petition on behalf of the Presidency during the NPP’s “Democracy Under Attack” demonstration at Jubilee House on Thursday, August 6.

“I thank the group for bringing this petition, and I do assure you that it is going to get to the President,” she said.

Nana Yaa Jantuah described the presentation of the petition as evidence that Ghana’s democracy remains functional, noting that the NPP had been permitted to march to the seat of government and present its grievances.

“This is democracy at hand. If the NPP today has been able to come to the Flagstaff House to present their petition, then democracy is at work,” she stated.

She also responded directly to Mr Afenyo-Markin, who reportedly described her as “a nobody” during the presentation.

“I’m happy that the Honourable Minority Leader is saying that I am a nobody. But I want to assure you that I’m a senior member of government, and this petition will directly get to the President,” she said.

Nana Yaa Jantuah further reminded the NPP that Ghana is governed by laws that must be respected by everyone.

“They should also remember that in this country, there are laws. There are laws that are put together to help us regulate our lives and our being,” she added.

She noted that the demonstration coincided with the national memorial for the eight Ghanaians who died in the helicopter crash and urged the public to reflect on the significance of the day.

The NPP organised the “Democracy Under Attack” demonstration to present petitions to the three arms of government over what it describes as growing concerns about governance and the state of Ghana’s.

“Nobody will have time to read your petition; it doesn’t make sense” – Mustapha Gbande tells NPP
“Nobody will have time to read your petition; it doesn’t make sense” – Mustapha Gbande tells NPP
Release Wontumi and all political prisoners now – Afenyo-Markin to gov’t
Release Wontumi and all political prisoners now – Afenyo-Markin to gov’t
‘Ghana is working again’ – Majority hails Ato Forson after mid-year budget
‘Ghana is working again’ – Majority hails Ato Forson after mid-year budget

Latest News